Friday, March 10, 2017

Hike more, worry less

"Hike more, worry less."

Day 16: 501 Shelter, 17 miles. 

Did another 17 miles today- impressed myself! The first 13 weren't bad, but the last 4 were very rocky and winding. Made it though! I turned on some tunes to help. I'm actually 4 miles ahead of TW and BC currently because they zeroed in Licksdale, but they will probably pass me tomorrow since I won't be going 16 to the next shelter. My feet really hurt when I came in, but now feel a bit better- I had to take Vitamin I for the first time. The shelter is fully enclosed with octagonal skylight and 8 bunk beds. It's owned by the local trail club and has an onsite caretaker. Pretty cushy. We ordered in food from a local pizza shop- I got a 12" sub and a huge order of fries and devoured it. I think I burned some calories today, haha. I took a cold water shower real quick, so feeling a little cleaner after a sweaty day and my clothes are rinsed and hanging on the line outside. To bed soon. 

Day 17: Hertline Campsite 6 miles. 

Took off today with the intention to go about 15 miles to Eagle's Nest shelter, but I came upon this campsite by a stream about 1:30 and decided to eat lunch and soak my feet. That turned into an hour break and I called Mom for the first time since Dunncannon. While I was talking Tumbleweed and BC showed up!! (also Pops) They decided to stay here as well, so now we are having a campfire and reunion! Probably doing 10 miles to Eagle's Nest tomorrow then into town for mail. 


Day 19: Windsor Furnace Shelter 

Camped a second night at a random campsite the night of 6/2 then continued 4 miles into town. The steep descent we had been hearing about wasn't too bad in grade, but the terrain was all eroded dirt and loose rocks which made it hard to get good footing- slipped out a few times, but no falls! Tumbleweed's cousin Jiffy had joined her for the past 4 days. She really liked to talk- had an interesting conversation about Peace Corps since she just got back from service. 
The plan was to spend the full day in town today as my first zero day, but we got into by 11 am yesterday, and after spending the night I had all my errands done and decided to hike out 5.5 miles to the shelter outside town.  

The folks in Port Clinton were really nice, and there was a free pavilion at the edge of town to stay in, but the people there were smoking and making a lot of noise. The Barbershop had cookies, coffee and charging for phones, the Port Clinton hotel had showers and laundry for purchase even if you weren't staying. I got an easy ride to Walmart from Shuttle Steve and visited the world's largest Cabela's. My pack is FULL of food and I sent a box ahead to myself for Delaware Water Gap in about a week. 

TW and BC stayed the night as well as Linley. We had dinner and some drinks at the Hotel then went to the Firehouse Pub for $1.25 lagers and to play pool. Today there was a hiker feed BBQ at the pavilion with chicken, desserts and other picnic fare. Less than half a mile from the shelter there was a group of Chinese folks supporting their friend Old Fox who also had trail magic in the form of noodles and beef, almond cookies and Guiness beer. Trail magic with chopsticks!! Happiest people ever. I didn't have to make dinner after, so I still have all my food plus chicken breast I packed out. 

Met Festus and son Skidmark (section hikers), Wonderland, PB and Jester at shelter. Also reunion with Pops! 

Day 20 Eckville Shelter 10 miles

Pulled into the shelter today about 1 pm, but decided to stay put rather than continue 7 miles to the next. Partly because of my feet, but mostly because it had drizzled all morning and thunderstorms were due. About 4:30 now and they are here! The sky is very dark and the wind has really kicked up! Also good to have staked out a spot. Not as big or nice as the 501 shelter, although it does have a flush toilet and enclose shower. I passed the 200 mile mark today!!!! I'm at 209 officially, so less than 2000 to go! Quiet group tonight so far. People are napping or reading. Took a short snooze, but don't want to ruin my sleep tonight. Maybe it's the rainy day. 


Day 21 Bake Oven Knob Shelter 17 miles

Long day today from Eckville. Luckily I got an early start because someone was out the door at 5:30 and everyone started stirring. I was out by 7:30, but the first 7 miles to Allentown Shelter were tough! I almost considered spending the night because it was a nice shelter, but continued on. The remaining 10 were not bad, but the last 4 were a bit rocky. We had the Knife's Edge which was not as bad as I expected, but still required hands and the mighty butt slide. The last mile to the shelter itself seemed to go on forever- very steep and rocky! I'm thinking of treating myself to a stay in Palmerton. 

Morning after: Visited by a large porcupine who came to chew on the shelter about a foot from everyone's heads. Skidmark scared it off by bopping it on the head with a trekking pole. 








No comments:

Post a Comment