Friday, March 24, 2017



6/15 Day 30:

Hiked 12.5 miles today. Got another late start- about 9:30. Took almost a two hour break at the High Point Visitor Center and considered only going 2 miles to the High Point Shelter (a beach day was tempting) But after my break I had more energy and went 6 miles to the Murray Property "secret shelter". It's a cabin with a nice front porch, a solar shower and electrical outlets! Just washed my hair and rinsed out my clothes. Now gazing over the open fields and doing some bird watching while enjoying the sunset and cooking dinner.






















Day 31:
Plan was to hike 13.5 miles today, but it turned out I am closer to Uncle Rick than I thought, so I got plucked from the road crossing a bit early. Taking a zero tomorrow which will be nice. With two zeros in two weeks and the lower mileages hopefully my feet will feel better. Saw a skunk leaving the shelter this morning. Light drizzle through lunch time, but actually refreshing to walk in. Peaceful and good terrain.

Day 33:
Took a zero with Rick and Marie. Walked 12 miles to Wildcat Shelter- very dirty! The privy was overflowing. Saw my first black bear on the trail. It was conditioned, came right into the campsites during dinner time. Lots of ups and downs. Pretty much any rock you saw, you had to go over. Tiring...








Day 34:
Very hot today! 93 and humid. Many of the listed water sources are going dry, but the trail angels have been amazing! Ran into the Yellow Deli folks and got peach matcha tea and cookies. There were water jugs at every road crossing as well as multiple coolers of sodas, fresh bagels and cream cheese, hotdogs and mini calzones. Much of it was due to "Patio" who hiked in 2000 and drove to multiple road crossings. Don't know what we would have done for water otherwise. Patio told us about a campsite 2 miles south of the shelter by Island Pond in Harriman State Park, so that's where most of us ended up. I took my first hiker bath (swimming) and it was so lovely! Hung my hammock and slept very well, only waking briefly to the full moon. Bigfoot the Good, Toad & Yellow, GetWeird, Champa, Grizz, Savage and Romani were among the people I knew. Good end to a long, hot day.




Day 35:
Hot again, but not as bad as yesterday. 12 miles again to the shelter. The heat definitely saps energy, but I made okay time. Got out of camp about 7:30 and even with a nearly two hour siesta for into camp about 5:30. 12 miles on the docket tomorrow to get to Aunt Susie's. Climbing Bear Mountain tomorrow and popping by the Trailside Museum where HV Corps has an intern or two. Listening to the Bloody Jack series on audiobook which is actually really engaging. I was able to borrow it via the Overdrive program through the library. Now about 8:30 and heading to bed. The shelter has views of the NY Skyline, but since tomorrow is the solstice it will still be a while before dark. I'll grab a picture at some point during the night.

Day 37: Climbed Bear Mountain which was the first real mountain that we had to both climb and descend. The trail was actually pretty nice- well maintained trail, but a lot of steps. I'm sure overall it was easier on the knees. The trail went right through the Trailside Zoo, so I took a break there and checked out the exhibits during lunch. After, it was a good bit of roadwalking to cross the bridge and about 6 miles to Sue. Good to see everyone and catch up. I'm really tempted to take a second zero tomorrow as there is a good chance of rain, but I don't want to impose or get too comfy. I may try for my first 20 mile day- fresh legs and just happens to be the distance to the next shelter.


Day 38 (34th of actual hiking):
I resisted the lure of a second zero! The weather was originally supposed to be rainy, but ended up all south of us, so it turned out to be no rain but a nice break from the humid weather. I got on the trail at 8 and plugged away- 20 miles!!! Got to the shelter by 6 and ordered pizza since it's close to a road crossing. My feet are definitely tired, but the terrain was pretty kind. I also passed the 400 mile mark today at Clarence Fanehstock State Park. Found a 24oz PBR sitting on the trail and carried it out as a treat. Good day overall. About 8 now and time for bed.




 Later- Ended up being visited by a skunk looking for pizza crusts. Thought it was a hiker coming in late and making noise and almost yelled at it... :P










No comments:

Post a Comment