Friday, March 31, 2017


6/26/16: Day 41, Mt Algo Shelter

I did 8 miles today from 10 Mile Shelter. The shelter was beautiful- right next to a river. Lots of fireflies and bats swooping in the field next door and an amazing view of the night sky. Tempted to zero and just go swimming all day, but didn't. Plugged along at a decent pace, but when I came to the road crossing at about 2pm there was trail magic with beer and fresh grilled burgers. Everybody was there and I ended up staying for 3 hours then backtracking .3 (uphill!) to this shelter. About 15 miles into CT now! I got to see the Dover Oak. The past two days I've eaten lunch at a deli (deli-hopping in NY is the bomb!) I am sleeping in my hammock tonight since it's warmer.




6/30/16: Day 45, Riga Shelter

Didn't have the energy to write last night. Currently at the Riga Shelter- 19 miles hiked today. I was doing okay until the last 2 miles when it got very rocky. Took Ibuprofen at dinner in order to be able to sleep. The shelter does have a gorgeous view though- overlooking a lake and the surrounding valley. Was the only one sleeping in the shelter last night. Lovely morning- taking my time getting out of camp, almost 10 already. Crossing into MA today!



Day 46, Hemlocks Shelter

Witnessed the truest hiker meal I've ever seen at dinner today. Marnal Custard showed up around dark and proceeded to eat cold ramen with beef tallow, beef jerky, hot sauce, snyders pretzels and mustard all mixed in.


Day 48, Upper Goose Pond Cabin

Tried to pass up the hostel due to logistics, but ended up staying anyway because of bad thunderstorms. Thought I would be able to get a pizza delivered and use the dryer for my clothes even if I had to hand wash them. Well pizza will not use the driveway because it is half a mile long and potholed and the dryer was broken. Stinkiest hostel and nights sleep I've had yet. Left damp.
Now at Upper Goose Pond Cabin, which is world's better even though it's in the woods! It's a beautiful setting. Surprised myself by going 22 miles today- longest day yet. The whole gang is here- GetWeird, MyFriend, Romani, Popper, Two Socks, and Toad & Yellow. Taking a zero now. Went canoeing twice today and did much needed bucket laundry (9 days!) Enjoyed a pancake breakfast and a sleep in. Also met two flip-floppers, Toasty Hands and Fire.



Day 52, Friend's House

Pulled into Bennington today. Staying with friends from high school. Past few days of hiking were tough with the trail very eroded and lots of roots to trip on.
Hoping to connect with people at church in Hoosick Falls and catch up with Rugby and GPS soon.














No comments:

Post a Comment